26.9.12

Leyline exhibition

Only a few weeks to go until I have to install my work for the "leyline" exhibition. The leyline in question runs directly from Tidbury Hill Fort to St Cathrine's Hill in Winchester. Both beginning and end sites were iron age hill forts and en route are long barrows, sacred wells, ancient funnery paths, megaliths and waterways.   I feel like I still have a lot of work to do as I am still at the experimental stage of my processes. I do know however that the work will take the form of a book.

While I've been researching this project I've walked parts of the 10 mile route several times and each time I've been drawn to considering what it means to be human alongside issues of temporal reality and sacredness.  I'd like to draw attention to aspects of our place in the landscape and of issues surrounding mortality.  It's been interesting to study past and recent thoughts surrounding leylines.  Although still not accepted by the archaeological community they are however very much part of modern day culture, having been re-appropriated by all sorts of groups. It seems our overall response to the landscape still causes awe and man responds very firmly to this through individual stored memories and imagination.

I've returned to my favoured processes of experiencing first hand the site, taking notes, drawing as well as doing research. The aspects that I am interested in are man's innate desire to make meaning out of things, continuity, and through observation and exploration making a creative decision of what is important and why.

view from St Cathrine's Hill towards Tidbury Hill Fort

St Cathrine's Hill at the centre of the iron age fort.

Summit of  St Cathrine's Hill near to the site of the chapel

pathway on perimeter of fort at St Cathrine's Hill

View towards the cathedral

leaves and foliage on my walk

No comments: